Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is one of the most under-diagnosed and potentially most serious of all medical conditions. If untreated, it can lead to high blood pressure, stroke, and premature death.
By taking this simple test below (the “STOP-BANG” questionnaire) you can determine if you are at risk for OSA. If so, speak with your physician or call us for a referral to a medical sleep specialist. Any questions? Don’t hesitate to contact me or the office, Dr. Laurence Stone in Doylestown, PA, today to schedule your next appointment and we can talk more about this. See you soon!
To Assess Risk for an Obstructed Sleep Airway (OSA)
- Do you Snore loudly (louder than talking or loud enough to be heard through closed doors ? O Yes O No
- Do you often feel Tired, fatigued, or sleepy during daytime? O Yes O No
- Has anyone Observed you stop breathing during your sleep? O Yes O No
- Do you have or are you being treated for high blood pressure? O Yes O No
- Body Mass Index (BMI) more than 35 (use the formula to calculate your BMI)?
O Yes O No
- Age over 50 yr old? O Yes O No
- Neck circumference greater than 40 cm? O Yes O No
- Gender male? O Yes O No
Scoring: Answering “yes” to three or more of the 8 questions indicates that you are at High Risk for OSA. Answering “yes” to less than three questions indicates that you are at Low Risk for OSA. If you scored in the High Risk for OSA category, a sleep study or an evaluation by a sleep specialist may be warranted.