In July I wrote a blog about 15 drugs that can cause dry mouth (Xerostomia).There are actually hundreds of medications that can cause dry mouth, a particularly nasty problem that can cause rampant tooth decay, oral infections, difficulty in chewing and swallowing, and otherwise make people miserable. Xerostomia can also be especially difficult to treat, so I am suggesting a few simple things you can do to help in treating dry mouth to manage this malady.
- Sip water throughout the day.
- Suck on ice (but do not chew it!).
- Discontinue alcohol (including mouthwashes containing alcohol), caffeine and sodas – all of which can dry out the mouth.
- Humidify your sleeping area with a cool mist vaporizer.
- Keep your lips lubricated with lanolin or Lansinoh, an over-the counter (OTC) ointment.
- Use fluoride supplements to fight decay.
- Consider using Biotene (OTC) oral care products including their toothpaste, mouth rinse and mouth moisturizing gel.Taken together, the Biotene products constitute an “enzyme replacement system” which can be very beneficial for dry mouth patients.
I hope these simple suggestions help if you suffer from dry mouth. As always, please contact me or the staff at my office, Dr. Laurence Stone in Doylestown, PA with any questions or concerns or to schedule your next visit so we can talk more about this. See you soon!